Not 'Goodbye,' but 'Goodnight'!

Have you ever been on a holiday, or lived somewhere for a very short time, and felt as though you left a part of you there?

Since I was a teenager, I've longed to have lessons in watercolour painting...last November when I discovered Charles Sluga's Gallery in Yackandandah and heard about his courses, I dreamed of being able to participate...but I never imagined it would actually happen! I tried to forget about it, but it kept coming to mind, and the desire was still there. One night, I found myself sharing my heart with my Daddy God. He already sees the desires of our hearts, but what a pleasure it is to Him when we trust Him enough to share our deepest longings! :)  

Within a week of that night, every obstacle had been removed - the time off from ministry, the finances to pay the classes, my accommodation, my meals - and that 'impossible' dream had become a gift: given to me by my Daddy God - through the instrumentality of His people - as an expression of His love for me. 

...I headed to Yackandandah exhausted, worn out from people and ready for copious amounts of solitude and physical rest. In the end, I had very little of either during my holiday and yet my time in 'Yack' impacted me so profoundly I have returned home refreshed, inspired and more in love with God, life and people than ever! :) 




On my last day there, I wrote...

"I leave Yackandandah today. My car is packed... I could have headed off at first light. In fact, I intended to! I am certainly keen to be heading home and yet I also feel very sad to be leaving (a testimony to the lovely time I've had!)... So instead of departing in a flurry of activity and stress, I am sitting one more time at my favourite perch - front row seats - at the Yack Bakery; sipping my last Extra Large cappuccino made by the friendly Michael; and journalling as I watch the world pass by. If I dwardle long enough I may even get a chance to say a final 'thank you' to Charles Sluga for all he has taught me this week about the wonderful, albeit challenging, world of watercolour painting.

The last 10 days have been a whole lot busier than I anticipated... and yet I am deeply thankful for every part of it... I am also concious that this is not the end of my story... and I am reminded of a line I often quote from an old movie, "It's not 'goodbye,' it's 'goodnight' Gilbert!" 

I have no idea where my Daddy God will lead me next, but as I sat there that last morning...and even as I think back now on my time away... I feel as though there was a purpose in my visit beyond that one trip... Perhaps Yack will become my annual retreat... whatever it is, I suspect my story will intersect with Yack and the people of Yack again and I can't wait to see the next chapter unfold! :)

Please accept my deep gratitude, dear friends, for allowing God to use you to bless and refresh me during my time away! You were, in your sacrifices and generosity and love, an expression of His love for me, and I am deeply humbled and thankful!

Comments

Popular Posts