Sinai
I'm not sure words will ever be able to paint you a clear picture of what the last 24 hours has looked like for me.
The intensity of the experience alone is already hard to describe.
The "nay sayers" were emphatic in their insistance that we shouldn't go. Their strong words; disapproving looks; and loud warnings were contsant (even after we returned!). I appreciated their concern. I was not ignorant of the risks nor in denial about the potential danger. It's just that I had something they didn't have: a strong desire, an inner excitement, that I had carried inside since last year when I first began planning my trip to Israel.
I had no intention of being foolhardy, yet I was concious of the fact that 'There is a fine line between wisdom and fear' and while I wanted to act with wisdom, I did not want fear to keep me from experiencing something I had been dreaming of experiencing for months now. I have experienced too, the supernatural protection of God in dangerous situations, and I was confident that if He was leading me, He was more than able to protect me.
As I talked with local tour guides, checked our government's travel advice and prayed, all I felt was peace and excitement: so I booked a private tour, together with Emilia, a sister-in-Christ staying at the hostel with me.
We were picked up at 10pm and driven to the Taba Border Crossing by our Israeli guide. The same Border Crossing the Israeli Government had closed until a week or so earlier. He instructed us in what to do and explained we would meet another guide inside the gates, who assisted us with the paper work and checks and then instructed us with where to go to meet our Egyptian guide, on Egypt's side of the crossing. It was a strange feeling: walking alone with Emilia from Israel, to the U.N "free zone" and then into Egypt... aware of the risk.
On Egyptian soil, we climbed into another vehicle and then drove through the night towards Mount Sinai. Right now, the northern half of the Sinai Peninsula is where ISIS are most active, yet in the last few weeks there had been a bombing at Saint Catherine (where we were heading) and kidnappings (many years earlier) and other attacks on the same road we sped along.
It was the middle of the night, I was exhausted, yet I couldn't sleep. I wasn't scared. I was at one time both keenly aware of the risk and also deeply aware of God's protective presence with us. Without trying to think of Scriptures with which to comfort and encourage myself, verse after verse poured through my mind over the hours, "you will not fear the terror that strikes by night, or the arrow that flies by day...or the destruction that lays waste at midday...a thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not approach you...He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways" (Paslm 91) ... "Fear not, for I am with you..." (Isaiah 41:10)
That entire 3 hour drive through the southern Sinai Peninsula, past Dahab and inland to Katharin, the Holy Spirit spoke verse after verse to my heart in such a way that even in the midst of the tension of not knowing what would happen at each security check we passed through, nor of who might be lurking in the hills surrounding us, I had peace. Indeed, we arrived at the foot of Mount Sinai sometime after 1am without any issues.
Our Egyptian guide then handed us over to our Bedouin guide and in the cold and dark of the early hours of Thursday morning, we started our climb. The entire hike was in darkness with only our headlamps to light the way. We couldn't see anything except a few feet ahead on the path, and as the hike became steeper and steeper, and my muscles increasingly tired and sore (I was already tired as we hadn't slept since the night before) I focussed on nothing more than the one step ahead of me. Wherever my Bedouin guide placed his foot, so did I. I could tell there were times we were climbing rocks on the very edge of the mountain, and the more tired I became, the more unstable my steps. Just one step at a time. Just one step. As I thought about what I was doing, the picture - of my focus on nothing more than the next step - reminded me of what trusting and following Jesus ought to look like. That refusal to consider how far I had to go and to focus on nothing but the step in front helped me to persevere when my muscles were so sore and weak I desperately wanted to quit. Then finally, we were there, at the summit. (And I discovered that what normally takes most people 2-3 hours to walk, had taken us about 1.5 hours!)
We climbed so quickly (though it felt painfully slow to me!) we reached the summit at about 3am and had several hours to wait until the sunrise would begin. It was freezing cold, and our sweat-drenched shirts just made us even colder... so cold (!!!) ...but I did not mind... the view we had of the stars and galaxies... the planet Venus shining more brilliantly than I had ever seen ...and shooting star after magnificient shooting star... the beauty of it all captivated me. I can't look at a night sky without my heart reminding me of Isaiah 40:25-31, so in those hours (in between exhaused giggling fits with Emilia) I was absolutely captivated. Moses had spent many, many nights on this same peak. Elijah had spent at least one night there. And God Himself had descended onto this same mountain to meet with Moses and also Elijah. I have God permanently living in me - a vastly more incredible experience than Moses and Elijah merely meeting with God - and yet it was profound beyond words to sit in that place and think about the patriachs and prophets of my faith who had sat in that same place looking up at the same night sky.
Then the sunrise began. No more beautiful than other sunrises I have climbed mountains to watch in Australia. I wasn't more aware of God's presence with me and in me, than I am at home, and yet it was a wonderfully special experience simply because of where I was. Israel!
The intensity of the experience alone is already hard to describe.
The "nay sayers" were emphatic in their insistance that we shouldn't go. Their strong words; disapproving looks; and loud warnings were contsant (even after we returned!). I appreciated their concern. I was not ignorant of the risks nor in denial about the potential danger. It's just that I had something they didn't have: a strong desire, an inner excitement, that I had carried inside since last year when I first began planning my trip to Israel.
I had no intention of being foolhardy, yet I was concious of the fact that 'There is a fine line between wisdom and fear' and while I wanted to act with wisdom, I did not want fear to keep me from experiencing something I had been dreaming of experiencing for months now. I have experienced too, the supernatural protection of God in dangerous situations, and I was confident that if He was leading me, He was more than able to protect me.
As I talked with local tour guides, checked our government's travel advice and prayed, all I felt was peace and excitement: so I booked a private tour, together with Emilia, a sister-in-Christ staying at the hostel with me.
We were picked up at 10pm and driven to the Taba Border Crossing by our Israeli guide. The same Border Crossing the Israeli Government had closed until a week or so earlier. He instructed us in what to do and explained we would meet another guide inside the gates, who assisted us with the paper work and checks and then instructed us with where to go to meet our Egyptian guide, on Egypt's side of the crossing. It was a strange feeling: walking alone with Emilia from Israel, to the U.N "free zone" and then into Egypt... aware of the risk.
On Egyptian soil, we climbed into another vehicle and then drove through the night towards Mount Sinai. Right now, the northern half of the Sinai Peninsula is where ISIS are most active, yet in the last few weeks there had been a bombing at Saint Catherine (where we were heading) and kidnappings (many years earlier) and other attacks on the same road we sped along.
It was the middle of the night, I was exhausted, yet I couldn't sleep. I wasn't scared. I was at one time both keenly aware of the risk and also deeply aware of God's protective presence with us. Without trying to think of Scriptures with which to comfort and encourage myself, verse after verse poured through my mind over the hours, "you will not fear the terror that strikes by night, or the arrow that flies by day...or the destruction that lays waste at midday...a thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not approach you...He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways" (Paslm 91) ... "Fear not, for I am with you..." (Isaiah 41:10)
That entire 3 hour drive through the southern Sinai Peninsula, past Dahab and inland to Katharin, the Holy Spirit spoke verse after verse to my heart in such a way that even in the midst of the tension of not knowing what would happen at each security check we passed through, nor of who might be lurking in the hills surrounding us, I had peace. Indeed, we arrived at the foot of Mount Sinai sometime after 1am without any issues.
Our Egyptian guide then handed us over to our Bedouin guide and in the cold and dark of the early hours of Thursday morning, we started our climb. The entire hike was in darkness with only our headlamps to light the way. We couldn't see anything except a few feet ahead on the path, and as the hike became steeper and steeper, and my muscles increasingly tired and sore (I was already tired as we hadn't slept since the night before) I focussed on nothing more than the one step ahead of me. Wherever my Bedouin guide placed his foot, so did I. I could tell there were times we were climbing rocks on the very edge of the mountain, and the more tired I became, the more unstable my steps. Just one step at a time. Just one step. As I thought about what I was doing, the picture - of my focus on nothing more than the next step - reminded me of what trusting and following Jesus ought to look like. That refusal to consider how far I had to go and to focus on nothing but the step in front helped me to persevere when my muscles were so sore and weak I desperately wanted to quit. Then finally, we were there, at the summit. (And I discovered that what normally takes most people 2-3 hours to walk, had taken us about 1.5 hours!)
We climbed so quickly (though it felt painfully slow to me!) we reached the summit at about 3am and had several hours to wait until the sunrise would begin. It was freezing cold, and our sweat-drenched shirts just made us even colder... so cold (!!!) ...but I did not mind... the view we had of the stars and galaxies... the planet Venus shining more brilliantly than I had ever seen ...and shooting star after magnificient shooting star... the beauty of it all captivated me. I can't look at a night sky without my heart reminding me of Isaiah 40:25-31, so in those hours (in between exhaused giggling fits with Emilia) I was absolutely captivated. Moses had spent many, many nights on this same peak. Elijah had spent at least one night there. And God Himself had descended onto this same mountain to meet with Moses and also Elijah. I have God permanently living in me - a vastly more incredible experience than Moses and Elijah merely meeting with God - and yet it was profound beyond words to sit in that place and think about the patriachs and prophets of my faith who had sat in that same place looking up at the same night sky.
Then the sunrise began. No more beautiful than other sunrises I have climbed mountains to watch in Australia. I wasn't more aware of God's presence with me and in me, than I am at home, and yet it was a wonderfully special experience simply because of where I was. Israel!
Once the sun had fully risen, we spent time enjoying the incredible views, and then proceeded to descend the mountain by a far more rocky route than our ascent. The only difference was that in the daylight, I had the beautiful views to distract me. What a feast for my eyes!
As a wonderful bonus, my guide realised how much I enjoy photographing flowers and enjoying God's artistry in creation, and very kindly proceeded to point out every type of flower we passed, so that I could capture them all! "Mu" was so sure-footed on those rocks that I accepted his offer to carry the camera, as I didn't want to slip and damage it. I had my own personal "camera caddy" and was able to simply enjoy the wonder!
Our descnt was so peaceful and refreshing for me. I had so much fun exploring! Our hike finished with a Bedouin-style breakfast back at Saint Catherine's monastry... having not eaten since dinner the night before, we were famished!
As I write, I am still in the first week of my adventures in Israel, and yet, when I return to Australia at the end of May, I suspect the last 24 hours will still rank as one of the most profound and inexpressible experiences of my entire trip. I am deeply thankful to my Father for the opportunity and freedom He gave me to explore Mount Sinai, for His protection and for the special memories I shared with Emilia. "Gott is sehr gut!"





Comments