What language do you speak?

I can't believe I've only been in the States for a week! ...My trip over was a fair bit shorter and a lot more comfortable than any long flights I've had before... but it wasn't without amusing highlights either.
To begin, we had the most perky Flight Attendant I've ever met on the flight from Melbourne to Sydney. She was so bubbly, in fact, that when she did the special safety spiel for people sitting in the Exit row seats, she made the whole emergency exit procedure sound so fun I felt myself almost wishing something would happen so that I could fling out that big door, walk along the wing of the plane and slide down the inflatable slide!
The most amusing event of the flight however occurred while I was in transit at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport waiting for my connecting flight to Detroit. Dad has always said I have one of those faces that people feel comfortable to approach with questions, and it seems, even on the other side of the world I still have that face. The only catch is, that face comes with an Australian accent! So anyway, I was sitting quietly waiting to board my flight to Detroit, when an American lady approached me and asked, 
"Are these the seats for the flight to Detroit?" I smiled at her and replied, 
"I hope so, because I'm heading to Detroit too." She looked at me blankly and then said, 
"Pardon?" I repeated my words and again she looked confused and repeated her "Pardon?"
This time, I decided to try another response so I answered with, "I think so," and her next question was, 
"I'm sorry, what language do you speak?"
"English" was my reply, with a laugh. She didn't seem to believe that response, so she moved to the guy sitting near me and asked him the same question she'd asked me. She understood his "Yep" so she thanked him and apologised to me!
Even though I could understand her perfectly, she genuinely believed I was speaking a foreign language! I had a good laugh at that and the folks here have enjoyed hearing the story too, and thankfully, they understand me!

Comments

Popular Posts